[FC] Re: <VV> Special Oil Filter Bolt for Sender

airvair corvanatics@corvair.org
Tue Feb 10 17:29:45 2004

I bought one of the "adapt-a-bolts" when they first came out. In order
to get a ground from the sender to the engine it is necessary to use a
metal washer instead of the usual fiber one. You've got to remember that
the only other connection to the engine is through the filter, and it's
seated on rubber seals.

The "adapt-a-bolts" are supposed to come with a copper washer "gasket."
However, the one I got was apparently stamped, not machined, and one
quick run over a mill file showed it was anything but flat. No wonder it
wouldn't seal. When you ask metal to seal to metal, it requires a
perfectly flat surface. So, being a diemaker, I was going to have it
surface ground. Since it was non-magnetic and too thin for any of the
clamping materials available for the magnetic table, I had to hand
finish it. Using a 4 place mic, I used the mill file to get it perfectly
flat with both surfaces parallel to 4 places.

Unfortunately, it STILL leaked, so I turned my attention to the engine
filter "adapter" (as GM calls it). One pass with the mill file and I was
shocked to see just how much the "gasket surface" for the oil filter
bolt was warped. So after a bit of mill file work, the surface was trued
up. The "adapt-a-bolt" FINALLY sealed, and has been in service on my '69
for almost 10 years with no problem sealing.

Regardless of whether someone uses an "adapt-a-bolt" or the stock bolt,
I'd strongly recommend that everyone run a mill file over the adapter's
bolt gasket surface. With the ones I've seen, it's a wonder that even
the fiber gasket can seal some of them.

-Mark