[FC] shifter problems

Ben Stiles corvanatics@corvair.org
Fri Feb 13 22:44:02 2004

My early manual shifter came apart again (while getting ready to pull out at
a stop light).  The snap ring that holds the shift lever on the shift
support popped off.  This left the whole stick shift floating in
nothingness.  It was not hard to fix (four bolts, snap ring plyers/snap
ring) all of which I carry with me.  It was not fun on the highway, however.
I am thinking of having the back of the cylinder drilled and tapped and
placing an oversized washer on there with a 1/4" bolt and thread lock.  That
would eliminate the snap ring blues effectively.

Has this ever happened to anyone else, or am I special?  This is at least
three times for me.  It seems as if the groove for the snap ring is not deep
enough.

Thanks for your ideas...Ben