[FC] shifter problems

James Davis corvanatics@corvair.org
Sat Feb 14 12:44:02 2004

There a couple of reasons for the ring clip coming off the shaft.  Most
common is a worn bushing in the support arm assembly.  It is the same
diameter as the steering box bushing but the steering box bushings length
is longer.  Sometimes the washer is changed out and that adds to
wear.  Remember GM used a directional ring clip not a snap ring to hold the
shaft in the support assembly.  GM's part number for the special washer is
3786267 and for the ring clip is 3786268.
Jim Davis