[FC] fuel pump

Ben and Lynn Stiles corvanatics@corvair.org
Thu Jan 1 14:13:05 2004

Let me preface this by saying I don't want to start, and I don't want all of
you to have to read, a great debate on electric versus mechanical pumps.
We've been there and done that.

I have a bit of a situation.  The mechanical fuel pump on the Ramp was
leaking badly around the lower rubber gasket at the rear of the pump (truck
rear/engine rear...)  I took the old one off and inspected it.  No tears in
the membranes, etc.  I replaced the fuel pump with a new one and started the
truck.  It began to leak badly around the same lower rubber gasket.  After a
bit of idling, the leaking stopped.  I had Lynn start the truck as I
watched.  Just a bit of oozing there.  So, I tightened the bolts holding the
pump together, especially the ones near the rear of the pump /rear of
truck...

Is this just the nature of the beast, or did I get some of the bad batch of
fuel pumps from a year ago?  I am considering going to an electric for the
Ramp as it seems to go through mechanical fuel pumps too frequently.  I am
just glad they are easy to change.

Thanks for your insights.

Ben