[FC] Feedback Requested-Which one do I keep?

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Mon Jan 12 22:43:05 2004

I would keep the 8 door due to it's uniqueness.  If you can't afford to have
the work done, then it is time that you put an additional effort into learning
how to do the work itself.  It isn't very hard and I am sure that there are
club members near you that would be willing to help you and also teach you at
the same time.  Possibly you might consider using one van to fix up the other
and when you are through, sell the "parts" van to someone else that wouldn't
mind a "fixer upper".  No matter which way you go, you are always going to
have the nagging feeling that you didn't make the right decision.  For this
reason, I suggest that you think long and hard as to where you want to be when
this is all over.  I suggest that you make a list of the positives and
negatives about each vehicle and then compare the two lists.  Only then can
you make a rational decision based on fact.  If you decide to get rid of the 8
door, keep me in mind..... Paul in CT
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: PhilMcNear@aol.com
  To: corvanatics@corvair.org
  Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 10:34 PM
  Subject: [FC] Feedback Requested-Which one do I keep?

  I have 2 62 Corvans (plus a 65 Monza convertible). I think I have one
vehicle
  too many. This may be long winded, but I'm pondering which Corvan to keep,
  though I'd like to keep them both.
  Mechanically, I can barely turn a wrench and usually I need to pay others to
  do the work for me. I work with limited dollars, so I can't drop 3K on an
  engine rebuild just like that.
  Here's what I have:
  1) 1962 8 door Corvan with the roll down window option on all four side
  started/driven barely since then. No rust out, some dings and minor dents.
Probably will
  need a full mechanical refurbishing (brakes, shocks, springs, reseal) plus
  paint. PG tranny. The previous owner (1966-2001) kept pretty good records. A
  weathered, but unabused van that would make a good restoration project.
  2) 1962 Corvan- a plain jane except for all of the work that the previous
  owner had done to it. Solid body, good paint. Four speed with remanufactured
  clutch from the Source. Spider dash with Stewart/Warner guages installed.
Nice
  suspension, new shocks. Tired 66 140 PG engine w/ 110 heads (80 compression
in 5
  cylinders, one dead cyinder at this point.) Lots of extras from Clarks.
  Cracked windshield.
  I know the logical choice would probably be #2, but does the scarcity of the
  8 door with the roll down window option (remember is a Corvan, not a
  Greenbrier,) mitigate the condition of the second one? Like I said I'd like
to keep
  both, and may do so, but I can't be a slave to all three, so 1 needs to go.
At
  times I've even thought about selling the 65 convertible and putting the
money
  into the 8 door, but I'm not sure how much fixing the money would buy me.
  I'm not asking for anyone to make a decision for me, I'm just asking for
  feedback from informed sources so that I can consider my options.

  Phil McNear
  62 8 door Corvan
  62 Corvan
  65 Monza 110 convertible