[FC] Further Thoughts on Which One To Keep (Long)

Tue Jan 13 21:02:00 2004

I tend to lean toward the 8 door, though it will require mechanical
refreshening, some body work, and definitely paint. I was able to drive it home after I
purchased it, but soon afterward the carbs or fuel pump seemed to fail and
the engine wouldn't turn over anymore. I haven't attempted to start it since
late 2001. However, it remains garaged.

The other 62 isn't exactly a hodge podge. It had belonged to a former
Corvanatic member, Ranger Halvorson, who passed away in 2001. He had owned it since
1964 and it's essentially a driveable van. The person who sold it to me had
used it as his driver for a year until something happened to the #3 cylinder. He
thought perhaps the valves had been tightened too much ( he wasn't sure.) The
engine uses oil by the fouled plugs I saw and the fact that Ranger seemed to
be putting in a quart of oil every 350 miles or so. This van also came with
extensive service records, Ranger kept this van in top condition. The engine had
been rebuilt in 1986 and had seen over 137,000 miles of use since then. The
body and suspension look a lot fresher than those miles!

My convertible was my daily driver until this past September. Some mook in my
neighborhood tatooed the rear quarter panel in a hit and run while it was
parked in front of my house. Had the engine and suspension rebuilt back in 99.
I'm tempted to switch engines between the convertible and the regular Corvan,
but so much work (and especially money) went into the convertible to get it to
the point where it is, and it isn't finished yet.

Steve Laser's van is for sale and perhaps that would be a solution. My wife
said that I could buy it, but at the expense of the convertible, Corvans, CORSA
literature collection, and whatever else that wasn't bolted or nailed down.
Like I said, I'm still contemplating what to do. Personally, I'd like to keep
all three, but that means one would always have to remain on the street.
Thanks for the feedback so far.

Phil McNear
62 8 door Corvan
62 Corvan