[FC] Low oil pressure

Bill Wells corvanatics@corvair.org
Sun Jan 25 01:13:00 2004

Hello Group,

I recently swapped out the engine in my Greenbrier due
to low oil pressure. I had checked the pump clearance,
pulled the distributor and spun the pump(had 30 pounds
then), but when running only had three or four PSI. A
friend said the main bearings had to be shot. This was
supposed to have been a rebuilt engine with about 3k
on it.
When it finally failed to build enough pressure to
activate my electric fuel pump safety switch, out it
came. Tore it down and everything looked okay until I
got to the block bolts. All eight were hand tight!!
The previous owner had forgotten to torque these when
he put it together. I am amazed it went 3k miles.
Equally amazing was the fact that the bearings all
looked good. The re-ground cam showed some wear, but
that was it.
Moral of the story: Double check your torques during
assembly.

Later,
Bill