[FC] Re: FC Registry

Sat Jul 3 14:39:00 2004

In a message dated 7/3/2004 12:16:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
corvanatics-request@corvair.org writes:

> A record of the VIN and what specific year and model they are along with
> the
> possibly of some additional info on how it came equipped from the factory
> such
> as what motor and trans, wheels type and size, deluxe model or not, paint
> color,etc.
>
> I'm sure someone will ask why not add...tire pressure, type of gas used,
> etc...(sic)....
>
> I'd say...any pertinent information about the vehicle...
>
> George (ACORNs, chapter #148)

      Good idea George. Wish I coulda thought of that:-)

       You know,there are a couple other things that are good to know. Of
course Im speaking from my Econo experience when citing these examples but you
ll
get the basic idea. It was once thought that all the Econo 65 "Spring Special
Pickups" came factory with a 170 motor and 3 speed tranny. That was a special
 model offered, which I believe each dealership receivied only one of each as
a promo gimmick. Basically it was a pretty stock truck with a handful of
deluxe options tossed in as freebies. Through VIN data collected it was
discovered
that some of them actually came with the optional 240 motor and some were
also auto trannys. Just goes to show that when you think you know it all about
an
older vehicle, that you probably dont. You gotta remember that back then
almost every single item was available as an option, not like today where you
order the XLT package or whatever.
       Many of the company fleet trucks(Ma Bell,Gas and Electric Co.) were
ordered with deleted options or special packages such as the display type van
or
the Utility side pickup which had tool boxes built right into the bed sides.
Things like that usually arent shown in most literature that the public
views.
       By the way,were there Corvair display vans? (windows only on the
passenger side and not the drivers).
       Its also interesting to note which ones were pop top campers(gotta
keep Ben Stiles happy)and also what type of camper top it was;i.e- metal flat
roof from original roof material, fiberglass,or aluminum. Also when open were
the
sides fabric or metal?
      Some items were usually only seen when certain packages were ordered
such as a custom or deluxe model. But then you run into  a very plain truck
that
strangely has the side trim on it or has the horn ring and custom steering
wheel,or deluxe wheel cpovers. While sometimes these were converted by
previous
owners,in a lot of cases they were just special order trucks or dealer add on
items once the truck arrived on their lot either at their option or per
customer request. Remember that back then a fist full of money could pretty
much get
you any option you wanted added onto any vehicle if it meant a sale.
   Other items of interest are type of mirrors and bumpers, whether painted
or chrome. Push bars on bumper???? The list can go on and on. Full headliner
or
partial? Colored floor mat or plain black? Folding bucket seats? Single
bucket seat like mine? Auxiliary gas heater?  Im sure by now you get the
picture.
       Generally what I do is send my VIN along with as much detailed info as
possible. Its up to the keeper of the VINS to decide whats relevant and  to
keep track of. It never hurts to have too much info I always say,although it
is
time consuming. One last noteworthy item to mention is the current condition
of vehicle as compared to when it was stock. By that I mean is it  a custom
street rod now or a cool hippy van or plain stock. Lots to choose from Im
sure.

                                                       Tim in Ky
                                                Econo USA Parts
                                 Your used 61-67 Econoline parts source
                               Constantly parting out E100 vans and trucks
                                            A100 parts also available

                                                  Ebay Falcon1966