[FC] Differential side bearing

Joel McGregor corvanatics@corvair.org
Mon Jul 5 22:00:02 2004

Have you checked the inner dust shield that goes between the u-joint and
differential?  I can't imagine a side bearing making that much noise and the
quitting either.  I have had intermittent noises in axle bearings.  My axle
bearing noise decreased when on the brakes hard.  I figured that was because
the shoes unloaded the bearing.  The shop manual shows a bearing puller.  I
need to try to make one myself.  I have drilled out the rivets and then
installed a grease fitting in the housing to grease the bearings on my '63
convertible but I've never actually pulled one off yet.

Joel in Keller, TX (DFW area)
'66 Corsa w/air
'63 Greenbrier 4spd
'63 Greenbrier 8dr 4spd "Bob"
'63 900 Convertible 4spd
'67 Monza 4spd Posi
15 others

-----Original Message-----
From: corvanatics-admin@corvair.org [mailto:corvanatics-admin@corvair.org]
On Behalf Of Charles
Sent: Monday, July 05, 2004 8:57 PM
To: corvanatics@corvair.org
Subject: [FC] Differential side bearing

Hi all,

Well, I'm back from a long weekend to take another look into what is
making noise from my van's rear end. Ok, I've gotten some good advice
from some of you already about this. Here's the original observations:

I heard some nasty scraping from what I thought might be the rear
brakes. There was no real change in the sound when the brakes were
applied so at first I thought a rock or some piece of spring had broken
off and was grinding around in the drum. It happened a couple of times
for a few minutes and then just stops and then starts up again. I can't
imagine that the bearings would stop making noise once something goes
wrong. I pulled the drums and can't see anything wrong. There was no
evidence of something scraping around. I did notice that the star wheel
for the self-adjusting brake was not engaging on one side (the side
where I thought the noise was coming from). I can spin the wheels and
hear nothing like the god-awful scraping. Before I parked I put it in
reverse and then applied the brakes and then went forward and the noise
decreased significantly. I'm beginning to suspect that the differential
is the problem. The noise is not engine-speed related. I did notice that
when I pulled on the hub that it moved in and out about an eigth of an
inch. The bearings aren't great but again I find it hard to believe that
they could go quiet once they start making noise.

Tonight I'm taking off the section of floor over the tranny/diff and
having a peek inside the diff which is where I strongly suspect the
problem to be. My question is:  Is it possible to remove/change the side
bearing in the diff without having to remove the diff or drop it down?

I have another question: Has anyone sucsessfully separated a rear axle
bearing from the axle shaft without destroying the bearing of course?
 If so, what's the secret?

The reason I ask is that I had previously taken a set of axle/bearing
assemblies to a licenced machine shop to have the bearings pulled off so
that I could inspect them properly and with a bit of luck salvage one
useable bearing as a back up. When I went to pick up my professionally
separated bearings I was informed that they could not budge them. They
even tried pulling on the outer race which of course
cracked/broken/useless. A good reminder to never trust anyone. Sure, I
could have complained but to what end? Anyone who would do what they did
is not going to stand behind their "mechanical skills". All I can do is
warn my local car enthusiasts about this shop.

Thanks for the opportunity to rant a little and I hope somebody can help.

- Charles