[FC] Differential side bearings

Charles corvanatics@corvair.org
Tue Jul 6 12:06:01 2004

Thanks to all of you for the great info. I couldn't get the floor panel
off last night because I didn't have my long socket extension. I did
however, jack the wheel off the ground and had a listen during the
quieter hours of the evening. That axle bearing is definitely noisy and
some minor scraping sound as well. I can see how putting some weight on
the wheel would amplify that scrape. When I put my ear as close to the
diff while turning the wheel it seemed pretty quiet except for a
soft/muffled klunk that was audible several times per rotation (I did
not have the presence of mind to count the number of times per
rotation). My next step since I'm not much of a mechanic is to pull out
that axle bearing and have a peek inside to see what I can see. I'm
sourcing out a local used bearing/axle.

Thanks again everyone, I may not be able to post until tomorrow evening.

- Charles