[FC] Weird thing about GB rims...

Dale Dewald corvanatics@corvair.org
Sat Jul 10 09:29:00 2004

Hello Merv,

I have parted out a couple of Greenbriers and bought a mismatched set of
wheels at the PA convention.  Included in the set was one 5-1/2" wide wheel
that otherwise looked identical to several of the others.

I have noticed that there are two slightly different styles of wheel.  The
difference between the two concerns the outboard rim section near the "step
up" where the wheel center [spider?] is welded on.  Style "A" (for lack of
any better term) has a smooth rim that extends out about 1-1/2" from the
"step up" to the bead flange, whereas style "B" has a rolled groove ~ 3/8"
wide at the junction of "step up."  I could not find part numbers on the
wheels but style A has a "N" and a "4" stamped near the valve stem and
style B has a "K" and "2."  I am not sure if both of these are stock or if
one is early and the other late.  The style A wheels came off a '62 and
early '63 Greenbriers and the style B wheels are on our '64 and all
original '65 Greenbriers.  I also wonder if style A supplied to the Flint
assembly plant and style B to St Louis.

BTW, I have a set of five (5) of the style A rims that I am willing to
sell.  They have been shot blasted and primed--ready for color to match
your vehicle.  The 5-1/2" wide wheel is also for sale; fair paint but not
rusty, $10 as is.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, (UP) Michigan