[FC] F/C Windshields

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Tue Jul 13 13:41:02 2004

Just don't try this with a windshield that you plan on reusing.  Murphy's Law
provides that if the windshield is good, it will crack and if it is no good,
it will come out in one piece without additional damage.
I lubricate the gasket on the way out with a solution of dishwashing liquid
and water.  Then when it is out, I just hose it down to remove the soap.  EM
and FC windshields are easy to replace if you have patience and a good gasket.
Does anyone know if the reproduction gasket has been "fixed" so it fits
properly?  I remember a discussion about this a year or so ago, but don't
remember any resolution to the problem...
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: N2VZD@aol.com
  To: corvanatics@corvair.org
  Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 1:42 PM
  Subject: Re: [FC] F/C Windshields

  you certainly do not have to break a windsheild out of any early or fc vair
  unless it is already broken, or otherwise glued in?.  it will come out
fairly
  easy if you go around the seal with a hook or angle tool from the inside,
then
  sit in the middle of the seat and put your feet at the far sides and just
push
  gently , holding pressure for a bit. then gradualy increase the pressure
  carefully towards the top.it works better if it is warm, but i have done it
in
  winter outside. the windshield will start to come out top first with gasket.
just
  keep even pressure on it untill it is loose. i have done it alone many times
  on fc's and earlys but you should have a helper on outside to catch it on
  fc's. if you do it right it will come loose enough that you can go outside
and
  pick it off the truck yourself. a car it will just kinda set itself on the
hood
  for you.  use a blanket to prevent scratching unless you are junking as i
  usually am.  regards tim colson