[FC] no reverse rampside

Joel McGregor corvanatics@corvair.org
Wed Jul 14 20:50:01 2004

My '64 Greenbrier lost reverse a few years ago. It sheared the roll pin that
holds the finger on the shift shaft or at least that is what I remember.
Now that I'm thinking about it it seems that it had a pin that I had to
JBWeld in place.  One or the other???  So if you are sure it's shifted into
the correct position you'll have to take it apart but it shouldn't be an
expensive fix.  I fixed mine in one night.  If yours failed like mine the
reverse gear is floating and it could lockup the tranny.  Mine's a 4-speed.

Joel in Keller, TX (DFW area)
'66 Corsa w/air
'63 Greenbrier 4spd
'63 Greenbrier 8dr 4spd "Bob"
'63 900 Convertible 4spd
'67 Monza 4spd Posi
15 others

-----Original Message-----
From: corvanatics-admin@corvair.org [mailto:corvanatics-admin@corvair.org]
On Behalf Of Vairsandts@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 1:24 PM
To: corvanatics@corvair.org
Subject: [FC] no reverse rampside

I have a 61 rampside 4spd that has been slipping out of 2nd gear on
deceleration,. but now suddenly won't engage reverse. The shifter is in the
proper
position for reverse but the trans is not engaged. The shift control rod ,
under
the truck, couplings etc. all apear to be tight . Does this sound like an
internal problem ?   Shifter fork ?  Where shall I start?  Any one who has
had a
similiar problem and can tell me what to lok for?  Thank you for any help
you
can give me !!!!!!!             Jerry Nafziger

            Iowa City, Ia,