[FC] Speedometer Question

robert wilson corvanatics@corvair.org
Wed Jul 28 22:06:05 2004

Hello All;

Is there a way to test a used speedometer before putting it in the vehicle?

I've tried two different used speedometers in my '63 Monza that were bad.
They either read erratically or go straight to100 MPH.
There is also an intermittent whining noise.  The odometers on both
speedometers seemed to work fine.

Also, for you convertible owners;  has anybody had experience with making the
snaps on the top boot secure to the car?
Several of the snaps (mostly stress points - corners) on the repro top boot
for my '63 will not stay on the car.
I've tried the shop manual suggestions, i.e. making the plastic/metal
hold-downs tighter.

It seems that the female buttons on the top boot are bigger than the male
snaps on the car that they are supposed to snap on to.

Scott Wilson
-'63 Rampside
-'63 Monza Convertible
-Two daughters under the age of 4