[FC] '65 Greenbrier Differential

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Mon Jun 28 09:11:02 2004

The good news is that if you need a diff to replace the
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dale Dewald
  To: corvanatics@corvair.org
  Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 7:04 AM
  Subject: [FC] '65 Greenbrier Differential

  Hello Ken,

  Friday I transported the rental car ('02 G-Caravan) back to Stevens Point
  and picked up the Greenbrier.  I drove the Greenbrier up onto the trailer
  without incident.  The diff and tranny were quiet and smooth--for about the
  50 ft of travel.  There was no indication of broken gear teeth or rough
  bearings.

  Closer inspection shows that gear lube is only escaping from a "hole" in
  the bottom of the diff case.  The "hole" looks as if someone took a 1/2"
  drift, positioned its edge next to the casting parting line inside of the
  case about 10 degrees from perpendicular, and gave it a whack with a 4 lb
  hammer.

  As I mentioned before, I collected some bits of case metal from the ground
  that are potato chip thin.  Is it possible that this was a defective (too
  thin) casting.  It looks suspiciously like some foreign object got wedged
  between the case and ring gear.

  What is the ETD for the boomerang arms.  I stole the arm from my '64 GB to
  put on the '65.  Right now both are undrivable.  Should I swap the good arm
  back from the '65 to the '64?

  Dale