[FC] 'Extended Life' motor oils

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Wed Mar 3 10:39:02 2004

Valvoline Maxlife will stop leaks, but if you stop using it, the gaskets will
shrink back past where they originally were and you will then have oil
"gushing" from all sealing surfaces.

From: Dale K. Dewald
  To: corvanatics@corvair.org
  Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 10:35 AM
  Subject: [FC] 'Extended Life' motor oils

  At 21:19 03/02/04 -0500, Steve Turner wrote:

  >Thanks for the info on spark plugs.  I have wondered about the 'best' for
  >our Corvairs too.  Also what about the use of the 'extended life' oils for
  >our older cars?  Such as the Valvoline etc.  Thanks in advance for the
  >info.  Steve

  Hello Steve,

  My nonscientific experience:

  I had tried to use synthetic oil (Mobil 1) in my wife's 65 Monza 110/4 but
  the rear main seal, a pushod tube and oil pan gaskets began
  leaking.  Valvoline Maxlife had just been introduced and was advertised to
  stop leaking gaskets, so I tried it.  The seal conditioner in this oil must
  have worked because the rear main and oil pan gaskets stopped leaking.  I
  had to replace the pushrod tube O-ring because it had been damaged.   I
  thought it was curious that the (not severely) damaged O-ring did not begin
  to leak until I changed to synthetic.

  I have since switched to Vavloline Maxlife in almost all of my Corvairs and
  it has slowed or stopped several minor leaks.

  Dale Dewald
  Hancock (UP) MI
  ---