[FC] Diff Adjustment Confusion

James Davis corvanatics@corvair.org
Sun Mar 14 21:14:05 2004

Well it is my opinion you can't set it up without a good inch pound torque
wrench.  I use a Starrett 0-60 inch pound dial gauge one. For a standard
trans diff, I use an old output shaft from a 4-sp with a 1/2 1/4 drive
socket welded to the shaft.  For a PG, I wedge a 7/16 socket into the
pinion shaft.  I find it best to set the side bearing preload without the
pinion shaft and "O" rings installed, then mark the position of the side
adjusters. I use and old yoke with a socket welded to it to set it
up.   Install the pinion and set the pinion preload as listed. You read the
total preload (side bearing plus the pinion preload.   Lastly set the
backlash checking the pattern.  New gears will setup with about 0.005
backlash and used about 0.009.  I think you will find the total preload and
friction will be in the 30 inch pounds (14 bearing,  7 inlbs side bearing
friction, and 9 side bearing preload).  Believe me that feels really tight
especially with new bearings.  But then I have spun four pinions on the
shafts in 40 years of fixing Corvairs, so I am very careful.  I now use
welded pinions on all FC's and Ultra Vans.
Jim Davis