[FC] RE: <VV> Diff Adjustment Confusion

Keith Hammett corvanatics@corvair.org
Mon Mar 15 15:33:04 2004

Where does one find a beam type torque wrench with a rating of 0-50 inch
pounds?  I have looked and have not found one as of yet.

Keith Hammett

-----Original Message-----
From: corvanatics-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:corvanatics-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of N. Joseph Potts
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2004 9:07 AM
To: * Greenbrier Goon *; corvanatics@corvair.org;
virtualvairs@skiblack.com
Subject: [FC] RE: <VV> Diff Adjustment Confusion

Clark's sells a "boat plug" whose purpose is to enable you to apply a torque
wrench to the pinion shaft. For me, it doesn't work. I have gotten a
15/16"-hex nut to work well, but explaining how in e-mail will be a chore.
I'll be happy to undertake that chore (for the benefit of the whole list) IF
you confirm to me: (a) that you have a BEAM (not click) type torque wrench
with a range of 0-50 INCH pounds; and (b) that you are willing to take the
time and trouble to do this "by the book" (using torque measurements). Most
people end up not quite doing this the prescribed way (including me, on my
earlier diff rebuilds), and I've had trouble with my diff (spun pinion
bearing) that MAY have been the result of improper adjustment on rebuild.
     So let me know if the answers to (a) and (b) above are YES, and I'll
tell you how to do this. Obviously, you'll have to be able to attach a
15/16" socket to your inch-pound torque wrench, so make sure you can
(adaptors). Equally obviously, make sure you have a 15/16" nut. The hardware
store sells them.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coup 140hp 4-speed with A/C