[FC] RE: <VV> Diff Adjustment Confusion

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Tue Mar 16 00:37:07 2004

When you get it back, don't make the common mistake and not put sufficient
amount of lube in.  Make sure that both the gear box and the transmission are
both full of lube.  The lube has to flow over the "dam" to fill both sides and
this is where some people make the mistake and think that it is full when only
one side is full.  Good luck and you will never regret letting someone else
complete a job that is better experienced with that job than you are.  When it
comes to expensive parts, sometimes it is better to leave it to an expert than
to do it yourself and ruin the parts just to say that you did it yourself.
Also, when you put it back together, get some help so you don't bend the input
shaft because of the weight factor.  This is another common problem that I
have seen.  More often coming apart than going back together, but either way,
it is still very heavy.  A while back there was a discussion about gear lubes.
Possibly someone will remember it.  Paul in CT.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: * Greenbrier Goon *
  To: greenbriergoon@hotmail.com ; corvanatics@corvair.org ;
virtualvairs@skiblack.com
  Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 12:18 AM
  Subject: [FC] RE: <VV> Diff Adjustment Confusion

  Thanks for the information, everyone.

  I have decided not to do this adjustment myself.  The chances of messing it
  up are pretty high.

  The Corvair Doctor is going to do it.  It's all boxed up and ready to ship
  to him on Tuesday.

  Charles

  Greenbrier World:
  http://www.c-zone.net/northgte/greenbrier.htm

  1963 Greenbrier PG (soon to be 4 speed)

  Don't let Ralph Nader ruin another Presidential election.
  http://www.ralphdontrun.net