[FC] Clutch Problems in my FC (Part 4) Engine out.

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Mon May 24 00:48:00 2004

A thought just occurred to me..... have you checked the input shaft to see if
it is bent?  These vehicles didn't have this problem when new, and if you have
everything assembled correctly you shouldn't have a problem now.  Is the
clutch fork the correct one?   Is it showing any signs of being worn??  Paul
in CT
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: * Greenbrier Goon *
  To: corvanatics@corvair.org ; virtualvairs@skiblack.com
  Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2004 10:52 PM
  Subject: [FC] Clutch Problems in my FC (Part 4) Engine out.

  Hey everybody:

  Well, I went ahead and removed the drivetrain from my 1963 FC today in my
  continuing search for a solution to the clutch problem.

  What did I find?  Nothing.  Everthing looked right.  It has the correct flat
  flywheel, the correct flat-fingered pressure plate, a welded disc, the
  correct t/o bearing (1 5/16 like the Clarks catalog suggests)...I can't find
  anything wrong.  No oil on the disc or signs of anything rubbing on anything
  else.  Everything looks right.

  The only thing I may have errored on when converting to the 4 speed was
  lubing the pilot bushing.  I simply installed it and rubbed a little oil
  into it rather than pressuring it in with my fingers.  Also, when I pulled
  the transmssion and diff away from the engine, the input shaft stayed
  attached to the pilot bushing.  I was able to easily pull it out.  It didn't
  seem stuck.

  I suspect that the problem must be cable or linkage related unless it was
  the pilot bushing not being lubed enough.

  I am not sure what to do.

  Does anyone have details and pictures for converting to a hydraulic clutch?

  By the way, there is no carpet or anything getting in the way of the pedal.
  Even the rubber mat is out of the van.

  Charles

  Greenbrier World:
  http://www.c-zone.net/northgte/greenbrier.htm

  1963 Greenbrier PG (soon to be 4 speed)

  Don't let Ralph Nader ruin another Presidential election.
  http://www.ralphdontrun.net