[FC] Steering Wheel Problem

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Wed Nov 17 07:38:00 2004

The quick fix is to rethread it using a metric size that is just slightly
smaller than the original thread.  Usually this can be done without much
difficulty and the new smaller sized thread will hold the steering wheel
securely to the shaft.  Paul in CT.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: TiM M
  To: FC list
  Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 1:49 AM
  Subject: [FC] Steering Wheel Problem

       I removed the steering wheel to work on the turn
  signals on my 61 Rampside tonight. It turns out the
  only thing wrong with the turn signals was that the
  "detent spring" hap popped off the two posts it clips
  to. That and the fact that the threads on the
  actuating ring where the turn signal lever thread into
  it are stripped. I got everything pretty much working
  and went to re-attach the steering wheel... That's
  when I found out the threads on the shaft are
  stripped. What's the fix for this? I'm worried about
  the wheel coming off in my hands now. Always funny in
  the movies, but I don't want to experience it in real
  life!!!

  Tim McCann
  '61 Electric Rampside