[FC] Steering woes

TiM M corvanatics@corvair.org
Mon Nov 22 12:25:03 2004

     I haven't fixed the stripped end on my steering
shaft yet. It was suggested that I re-tap the stripped
1/2-13 shaft end with the next smaller metric tap. I
was getting ready to do that when a machinist at work
told me I'd have trouble with that because of the
large difference in the thread pitch. He's
recommending that I go with a 7/16-14 thread to keep
the pitch close. Any thoughts?
     In addition, after removing and replacing the
steering wheel with the stripped nut, so I know it's
nowhere near as tight as it should be, I now get a
terrible rubber squealing noise whenever I turn the
wheel to the right. No noise when I return the wheel
to center, or turn it to the left. Could this be
caused by the loose steering wheel nut, or do I need
to look elsewhere?

Thanks,

Tim McCann
'61 Electric Rampside