[FC] NOS Clutch Cable Installed: Problem STILL Not Solved

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Sun Oct 3 23:41:01 2004

I can feel your pain and frustration.  My only though at this point is that
the input shaft is bent.  I know that when I purchased my car, someone
previous to me removed the transmission by themselves and wasn't able to hold
up all the weight.  When they let the transmission sag, this bent the input
shaft and it was spinning out of round.  Did a lot of damage to the
differantial.  I don't know if this could be the problem with your van, but it
is a possibility.  At this point, I think that I would be looking inside the
transmission for any possible problem and double checking everything for
previous damage.  Could you possibly have the wrong input shaft?  I don't know
if this is a possibility, but like you, I am guessing at possible solutions at
this point.  ........ Paul in CT
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Greenbrier Goon
  To: corvanatics@corvair.org
  Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2004 11:32 PM
  Subject: [FC] NOS Clutch Cable Installed: Problem STILL Not Solved

  Hello everyone:

  Some of you might be aware of my 4 speed conversion from Hell for my 1963
Greenbrier.

  Most of this year has been wasted trying to figure out why the van is
suffering from a clutch release problem.

  Since making the conversion I have:

  Removed the drivetrain to replace the new, slightly shorter than factory
original T/O bearing with an NOS one of the correct height.

  Double checked to make everything is correct (no mismatch of early and late
parts).

  Lengthend the clutch pedal one inch for greater pull.

  And the latest failed attemt at solving the problem was to flush another
$160.00 into the project on an NOS clutch cable.

  NOTHING HAS WORKED!

  Here is what is happening:  The van will start up and shift smoothly into
all gears.  Within about 3 minutes of driving it will start crunching into
first or reverse and soon become impossible to shift into first or reverse.

  Does anyone have any other suggestions before I haul this off to the
scrapyard?  The only thing I can think might be a problem would be with the
input shaft and pilot bearing.  Maybe they are binding for some reason.

  I am willing to try one more thing before giving up and getting rid of the
whole thing.

  Charles

  Greenbrier World:
  http://www.c-zone.net/northgte/greenbrier.htm