[FC] Mystery Machine

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Fri Oct 8 12:58:03 2004

Discussing what you are going to do to a Found On Road Dead, is heresy on a
Corvair site...... LOL..... Paul in CT.....
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: EconoUSAParts@aol.com
  To: corvanatics@corvair.org
  Sent: Friday, October 08, 2004 12:38 PM
  Subject: [FC] Mystery Machine

         Andy,sounds like you are gonna have a lot of fun with that van. I ve
  seen one other Corvair painted like the Mystery Machine when I was hunting
  around the web researching it for my own project,which is a 64 Econoline
van.
  I ve
  looked at great length at other trucks,toys,cartoons,etc to capture the
  details so I can make mine the most realistic looking one ever done(IMO).
  While I
  ve seen several that were ok,I ve only seen 2 that I would classify as
nicely
  done,one of them an early Chevy,the other an early Econoline,but neither
had
  an
  interior that complimented the exterior theme. In my search to be as
accurate
  as possible on my own version of the Mystery Machine I ve discovered that
  there are really several different versions,even in the cartoons. If you
watch
  lot of them you will see many differences,especially in the colors. Some
show
  it as dark green,some light green,others dark blue,some aqua. The flower
  colors change also similar to that. So what Ive concluded is there is no
way
  exactly recreate it,especially since it wasnt a real van to begin with.
That
  being said,I think it took a lot of pressure off me to be exactly correct
and
  it
  allows me to add a little influence of my own to the project,as most people
  like to do. While a lot of them that I see are filled with Scooby toys,I
plan
  on
  attacking it from another angle. Mine wont have the toys but instead will
be
  my interpretation of what the inside should have looked like in realtion to
  the
  outside. The outer theme will run all through the inside with graphics and
  fabric reinforcing the theme throughout. Its more of what it may have been
  like
  to the "real characters" if it was their van in real life.  It obviously
  wouldnt have had toys of themself in it. I think it'll be really cool when
  finished. For nowits totally stripped and in primer with a lot of finish
body
  sanding
  to be done before it goes to the paint stage.
         The only thing I ve taken liberty on is the back doors which will
have
  glass in them,since I want the back windows to pop open for ventilation.
Most
  times I see the cartoon van it doesnt have back windows but sometimes it
did.
         One other thing Im doing is dechroming it. All emblems and Ford
  letters have been removed and the holes welded shut. I want no indication
of
  it
  being anything but "The Mystery Machine". The bumpers and wheels will be
  powdercoated the same light color of green as used on the side of the
truck.
  All the
  exterior colors will be used throughout the inside too. Itll be one of a
  kind,I
  guarantee.
         Its been a lot of fun researching it for a few years now but Im
ready
  to move forward with it now,just as soon as the cash flow picks back up:-).

                                                         Tim in Ky
                                                  Econo USA Parts
                                   Your used 61-67 Econoline parts source
                                 Constantly parting out E100 vans and trucks
                                              A100 parts also available

                                                    Ebay Falcon1966