[FC] rear brake drum......

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Sat Oct 9 22:08:03 2004

You need to back off completely on the adjuster star wheel to pull the drum.
The lip on the edge of the drum is hanging up on the linings.  If the hole for
the adjuster hasn't been punched out, you can do it with a hammer and old
screw driver.  I am not certain if it is in the backing plate or the drum.
Paul in CT....
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Wild8bill@aol.com
  To: corvanatics@corvair.org
  Sent: Saturday, October 09, 2004 6:59 PM
  Subject: [FC] rear brake drum......

  I give up; why can't I get my rear drum off? The front drums pull right off,
  but the rears seem to be stuck on. I loosened the brake cable, opened the
  brake bleed valve. When I pry on the outside, it moves a little all the way
down
  to the center, but snaps back tight. I think I have a broken or unconnected
  return spring on that wheel, and I wanted to inspect it anyway. Do I have to
lash
  up some kind of 3-4 jaw puller, or is there a secret nut/screw somewhere
that
  I didn't loosen?

  Thanks.