[FC] The Latest on my FC Clutch Problem

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Mon Oct 11 22:43:02 2004

When you install the pilot bearing, sometimes it slightly distorts.  If you
have a king pin bushing reamer, take a couple thousands off of the bushing.
You can do this with the bushing out of the crankshaft.  To remove the
bearing, pack it with grease and then insert the old input shaft into the
bearing and give it a tap with a mallet.  The bearing should pop out.  Clean
and ream a couple thousands and then soak in oil.  Reinstall and check with
the new input shaft to see that it doesn't bind.  If all seems OK, then put
everything back in the car and take it for a drive.  You will know if the
first 3 minutes is the problem is resolved.... LOL.... Paul in CT....
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Greenbrier Goon
  To: virtualvairs@corvair.org ; corvanatics@corvair.org
  Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 10:25 PM
  Subject: [FC] The Latest on my FC Clutch Problem

  First, I would like to thank everyone who has offered suggestions on solving
the clutch problem on my FC.  Although the problem has not been solved, I have
eliminated some possibilities.

  I have checked the amount of pull that the cable is exerting on the rod at
the differential.  It is more than the minimum 7/8 inch required.  I checked
this after driving around for a few minutes and allowing the problem to arrise
again as it does after about 3 minutes of driving.

  Now I am positive that it is either the clutch itself or the pilot bushing.
I think it is most likely the pilot bushing.

  I will have to bite the bullet and pull out the drivetrain again to examine
things.  As I mentioned before, the NOS input shaft seemed to fit very snug in
the new pilot bushing.  That plus the fact that I did not soak the bushing in
oil before installing it(I simply sprayed oil on it) might be why this problem
exists.

  Charles

  Greenbrier World:
  http://www.c-zone.net/northgte/greenbrier.htm