[FC] Revised Rampside- Retro Corvair

J R Read_HML corvanatics@corvair.org
Tue Oct 12 12:12:02 2004

Which came first, the Loadside or the Rampside?  Loadside was quite
impractical - had to lift your load over the HIGH back (engine) in order to
get it to the bed.  Rampside was better because you could load to a LOW
floor (lower than a full size pickup) and the load capacity was nearly a
ton.  Neither were all that popular (except in niche markets - like utility
companies).  The Rampside was only built in any quantity for 3 years - about
17,000 units - with production going down every year.  That does not say
popular to me.  I completed high school in 1960 - so you know I was the age
to be "car" aware.  I though (and I believe many others did as well) that
Rampside was a strange looking vehicle.  Well, it still is, but now it's
"cute".

I suppose a modern version could be built today - based on a minivan.  But
why?  You're talking front engine and drive.  You could build the bed
(fairly) low all the way around (with restrictions for rear wheels).  You
don't have the engine in the way for getting the load to the bed - so you
don't really need the ramp.  If you really want a ramp on it, a slide out
ramp at the rear could suffice JF.

That all said, I love my Rampside.  Yes it gets many comments (positive).
More so than the convertible (a very nice car).  My wife asked the other day
(hope she was not serious), if you could only keep one Corvair, which would
it be.  Between the convert and the Rampside, I was not able to answer.
Ended up saying that I like them both - for different reasons.

Attachments are scanned with anti-virus software.

Later, JR
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140
'66 beater Coupe - icemobile 4/140