[FC] Torn Thread-No more

Clark Hartzel corvanatics@corvair.org
Sat Oct 16 08:06:02 2004

OK, now that it is fixed, save it and drive the Cadillac in the salt this
winter!
Clark Hartzel

-----Original Message-----
From: corvanatics-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:corvanatics-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Michael Emanuele
Sent: Saturday, October 16, 2004 7:54 AM
To: corvanatics@corvair.org
Subject: [FC] Torn Thread-No more

Thanks again for all the responses. to the torn thread saga.
With the info that I was given I was able to purchase this neat little
repair
kit from the NAPA Store. It is a neat kit, but a little pricey.
It is an actual threaded sleeve  instead of a heli-coil type insert. Comes
complete with a tap and a tool to "set" the sleeve once you have it
installed.
The only part that I deviated from was that the manufacturer recommends
using
silicon rtv when installing. I opted to use Lock-tite, since I know its
capabilities. I didn't think that rtv would hold up very long to the head
temperature. The whole job took about an hour from start to finish. The nice
thing is that after the repair, unless you really pay attention to the
threads
in the plug hole you would never no that it had been sleeved.
Thanks again,
Mike Emanuele