[FC] Idle woes

Garry Parsley corvanatics@corvair.org
Mon Sep 6 16:09:01 2004

Hi all,
Help!! I've gone brain dead and can't think my way out of a simple problem.
Here goes: 1965 Brier with 140/PG running two carbs. It started flooding,
so I removed and rebuilt the carbs. Both were very clean, all rubber parts
good. Found the problem to be a seat that had unscrewed itself. Now, trying
to set up idle, I cannot get the right side to work. When I put my hand
over the left carb it tries to suck my elbow into the engine, and dies
within a few seconds. When I do the same on the right side, there is very
little suction and the engine barely changes in pitch. I repulled the right
carb and double checked all the little drilled passageways, float settings,
etc. and can find nothing wrong. Reinstalled and no difference. The idle
mixture screw makes no difference. Using a Unisync shows the left pulling
straight to the top, while the right barely gets to the bottom line. I do
not have a vacuum gauge. Now, to be fair, this engine has never idled real
well, but I always thought the problem was on the left side. The carbs were
not switched side-to-side as I rebuilt one at a time. Do you think it would
help to switch them? I'm also wondering if I might have bad valve
adjustments on the right side because of the low suction, but why all of a
sudden. I'm sure this is a simple solution, but my brain hurts now, so I'm
turning to the experts.
Thanks,
Garry Parsley
1965 Brier