[FC] Idle woes

Clark Hartzel corvanatics@corvair.org
Mon Sep 6 17:52:01 2004

Check the vacuum balance tube that connects both heads.  Might have a
leaking hose on RH side.
Is your vacuum advance line tight on the RH carb and distributor?
When in doubt take a compression test!
Check the tiny tube opening that hangs down from the carb cluster.  This
plugs up easily and screws everything up.  Clean with a torch tip cleaner.
Check to see that the tip of the idle mixture screw isn't broken off in the
carb body.  Makes a great plug when somebody tightens too tight!
If you have both carbs off you can adjust them on the bench.  Turn the idle
mixture screw to the bottom and back out 1-1/2 turns.  Back off the idle
speed adjustment until the throttle plates are full closed.  Then tighten
the speed screw about two turns in on each carb and put the carbs back on
engine.  Leave the linkage off and start the engine.  If idling too slow,
turn both carbs same amount.
Clark Hartzel

-----Original Message-----
From: corvanatics-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:corvanatics-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Garry Parsley
Sent: Monday, September 06, 2004 4:11 PM
To: corvanatics@corvair.org
Subject: [FC] Idle woes

Hi all,
Help!! I've gone brain dead and can't think my way out of a simple problem.
Here goes: 1965 Brier with 140/PG running two carbs. It started flooding,
so I removed and rebuilt the carbs. Both were very clean, all rubber parts
good. Found the problem to be a seat that had unscrewed itself. Now, trying
to set up idle, I cannot get the right side to work. When I put my hand
over the left carb it tries to suck my elbow into the engine, and dies
within a few seconds. When I do the same on the right side, there is very
little suction and the engine barely changes in pitch. I repulled the right
carb and double checked all the little drilled passageways, float settings,
etc. and can find nothing wrong. Reinstalled and no difference. The idle
mixture screw makes no difference. Using a Unisync shows the left pulling
straight to the top, while the right barely gets to the bottom line. I do
not have a vacuum gauge. Now, to be fair, this engine has never idled real
well, but I always thought the problem was on the left side. The carbs were
not switched side-to-side as I rebuilt one at a time. Do you think it would
help to switch them? I'm also wondering if I might have bad valve
adjustments on the right side because of the low suction, but why all of a
sudden. I'm sure this is a simple solution, but my brain hurts now, so I'm
turning to the experts.
Thanks,
Garry Parsley
1965 Brier