[FC] clutch/diff

Tue Sep 7 09:32:00 2004

In a message dated 9/6/2004 10:10:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bensbus@paonline.com writes:

What are  the absolute best, tried and true clutch components needed to
eliminate  almost completely the dreaded clutch chatter problem in FCs?  I
have
heard words like "vega" and others tossed around.  Anyway, when  Jeff's crew
fixes the diff, cleans up the engine compartment and puts in a  new clutch, I
want no more clutch chatter.  What is the right  combination?????  Please
respond if you  can!

    IMO, it is not so much the components that are used  in an FC but how
rigidly the engine is mounted and how the clutch cable is  mounted.
    Stock components work just fine. I do not like the  Spring Center disc,
it is not made for the Corvair. Some will say that, the  spring center cured
the problem, but probably what happened is they surfaced the  flywheel, put in a
rebuilt PP and that is the #1 causes for chatter.
    If you want life out of a disc then you need to get  my Fibre Tuf disc,
shameless plug, made on a CORVAIR center. I have never had a  hint of chatter
out of it even when it was oiled down.
    If you don't already have one you will get a bolted  flywheel. I hope.
    Food for thought.
    Ken Hand