[FC] RE: <VV> Wiring harness

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Wed Sep 15 18:59:19 2004

The harness's are made by an independent wire harness manufacturer from the
original GM wiring schematics, including the color of the wire.  They will
only make wiring harness's for cars where there exists a part number.
Different manufactures back in the 1960's made the harness's for GM and
sometimes they didn't always go by the color code specified.  Also, GM would
do updates to the wire harness's and make color changes to designate the
upgrades.  It might have been just making a particular wire longer to
accommodate manufacturing plant requests.  In some instances, the particular
wire color might no longer be available.  An example of this is the early
clock wiring harness.  The reason it isn't made is that the original was grey
& maroon.  The maroon wire is no longer available and no part number was ever
issued for this harness.
Paul in CT
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: N. Joseph Potts
  To: chickwich@comcast.net ; virtual vairs ; Corvantics
  Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 4:18 PM
  Subject: [FC] RE: <VV> Wiring harness

  My (car) harness from Clark's went in and has been serving perfectly for
  years. The colors of the wires do NOT match the original perfectly, but are
  consistently "kind of like" the original, so that you CAN trace circuits
  using the colors cited in the vehicle's documentation (wiring diagrams).
The
  gauges, lengths, and terminations of the wires are all just like original.
       The package I received the harness in indicated it had been made by a
  general vehicle-harness manufacturer, not by Clark's.

  Joe Potts
  Miami, Florida USA
  1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C