[FC] Bead blasting aluminum

Garry Parsley corvanatics@corvair.org
Sun Sep 19 14:42:01 2004

Hey guys,
I'm wondering about the wisdom of bead blasting the aluminum engine parts.
I've heard of it being down, and I've tried it on a scrap oil filter
adaptor that was laying around. It really cleans good and looks great. What
are the issues facing this? I assume there's always the chance of not
getting all the media out, and destroying an engine. Other than that minor
concern <ggg>.... How would blasting be followed up to minimize that
possibility? Also, any concerns over blasting the block itself, especially
the cam surfaces? Could this erode the gasket surfaces? What type media
would be best? Lots of questions and concerns on this. Thanks,

Garry Parsley