[FC] FC Taillights

Clark Hartzel corvanatics@corvair.org
Mon Sep 20 18:56:01 2004

Had often thought about doing this myself only wouldn't use stock tail
lights.  They would have a pointed end facing a square corner.  Why not use
something like LED lights for a street rod?  Maybe a rectangular shape like
a 42-48 Chevy lights or something similar in shape?  This way you would have
lights that can actually been seen!
Clark Hartzel

-----Original Message-----
From: corvanatics-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:corvanatics-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Vic
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 6:49 PM
To: corvanatics@corvair.org
Subject: [FC] FC Taillights

Need some advice (what's new) about my rampside. Instead of putting
reflector
panels on the rear tail gate that are shaped like the taillights, my thought
is to cut into the tail gate and put another tail light (flipped over) and
then wire it in to the tail light so it works as the tail light works.
This tail gate happens to have a big section cut out of it on the inner
panel
so I took it off to see what it looked like inside. Don't know why anyone
would cut one up like that but evidently cut another one to make the panel
match that is held on with screws. Anyway, there is a brace running across
(inside the tailgate) right about where I would cut into it which would
interfere with the housing for the tail light. The part that holds the bulb
and wiring. I've thought about cutting that brace out but may be able to cut
hole in it that the housing can fit into without removing the whole brace.
If I did put a light there, it won't butt up against the stock one because
there is about an inch of outside skin that goes beyond the main part of the
tailgate. It covers the latches and hinges from view.
I know this could be a big project and possibly could ruin the tailgate but
think the idea of more lights (especially brake lights) are good.
What do you think? Have I described it well enough for you to picture?
Thanks
Vic