[FC] Re: FC bucket seats/Herb/bumpers and more

Mon Sep 20 23:09:00 2004

In a message dated 9/20/2004 12:07:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
corvanatics-request@corvair.org writes:

> The person with the seats and an 8-door van is probably Herb Martin of
> Crabtree, Oregon, he has an amazing number of FC vehicles, components and
> parts. From a recent Corvan Antics, his number is 541-967-9013.
>
> As for the small seats, it is easy to make them by cutting down a
full-width
> seat, there is no discernable difference except for a piece added to the
> "inside" edge of the seat bottom in order to allow the cover to form a
skirt
> on that side. BTDT.
>
> Clarks makes/sells covers for the narrow seats. IMHO, the right seat
flip-up
> feature is pretty useless (not to mention unsafe) unless you want to be
> original. I've replaced the 'hinge' hardware with regular adjustable
tracks.

> The rear door hinges with the built-in stops were standard for '64-'65
> models (but my very-early-production '64 Corvan doesn't have them). I think
> if you compare the side and rear hinges you will notice pretty significant
> differences in the size-length-width. It looks like you could, however, add
> the stops to the side hinges. Maybe I'll try it.

   Thanks Vern, I spoke with Herb and the deal is done and he will be
shipping them soon. He jad lost my number also. We both had trouble finding
the other
it seems.
       I myself had discussed with Lon Anderson some time back about making
my own bucket seats from a stock bench style. It seemed fairly easy but not as
easy as installing an original. If I stumble on some extra bench seats I may
try it just for the fun of it.
       The seat tracks you installed,are they from a stock bench front seat
or something else?
       If you do become the guinea pig for trying to add stops to the side
doors please let me  know the outcome. It would be some time before I would
get
around to that part of my project. As far as the doors not opening flat
against the van,Im fairly certain that Jeans opened almost fully against the
van
with the hinge stop type hinges. On the side door,you would actaually only
have
to modify the rear side door hinge wouldnt you since the rubber stop for the
front side door is built into the handle?

                                                       Tim in Ky
                                                Econo USA Parts
                                 Your used 61-67 Econoline parts source
                               Constantly parting out E100 vans and trucks
                                            A100 parts also available

                                                  Ebay Falcon1966