[FC] It's "fixed"

Clark Hartzel corvanatics@corvair.org
Mon Sep 27 09:06:02 2004

Ben, there is supposed to rubber grommets/pads on those stabilizer mounts.
There should be no metal to metal connection for the vibration reasons you
mentioned.  Try to use cut down shock donuts or something similar to
insulate the metal to metal connection.
Clark Hartzel

-----Original Message-----
From: corvanatics-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:corvanatics-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Ben's Bus
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2004 1:33 PM
To: corvanatics@corvair.org
Subject: [FC] It's "fixed"

Hello FCers...

I got my Greenbrier back from the Ranch yesterday.  A new diferential to
replace the one I blew and new clutch components rounded out the surgery.
Jeff still noticed substantial clutch chatter, so he replaced the stabilizer
bolt that goes through the bracket to keep the powertrain from excess
forward/back movement.  This bolt had been removed some years earlier, and
probably should have been replaced sooner.  He used a substantially
oversized
bolt and nut welded to the bracket.

New problem...the van literally rattles and vibrates when revving the
engine/accelerating through the gears.  Even the curtain rods and rear view
mirror vibrate to rattles and blurriness.  So, I am wondering if the
replaced
stabilizer bolt could be the problem?  I know there is a specific torque
value
for this bolt and its jam nut.  I can't locate the specific numbers...and I
NEED them to see if I can adjust the torque.  My theory is if that bolt is
too
tight, (which I think it is) it is holding the drive train too tight and
thereby sending the drivetrain vibrations (All of them!) directly through
the
frame and into the body.

Any other ideas?  Anyone have those torque settings?  This bracket is shown
on
section 6 sheet 35 of the assembly manual.  It mentions to torque the
bolt/jam
nut to the "specified torques", but those values are not on the page so far
as
I can see.

Please respond if you can help.  The Greenbrier is, for the first time since
I've owned it, not such a pleasure to drive right now.

Thanks!  Ben Stiles