[FC] custom exhaust

James Davis jld at wk.net
Wed Dec 7 14:20:50 EST 2005

I see two problems trying to make this work.  First, there is no room
for a muffler on the left side unless you do major surgery.  Secondly
the angle for the mufflers is wrong using the car "U" tubes.
The tube angle is an easy fix: just heat and bend or section to the
proper angle.  The left side space problem is more difficult.  I cut
out the fender bottom and then fabricated a new muffler cavity to
house the six inch muffler.  You, also, need to make an left side
muffler mount (easy).  The last thing is a cutout in the rear valence
to accommodate the muffler tip.  Make this slightly larger than the
one on the right to accommodate the greater angle of the exhaust on
the left side.
You could just let the muffler hang down below the fender bottom but ....
I switched to headers and Supertraps about four years ago and
contrary to Clark's catalog admonitions, their headers fit fine if
the left fender bottom is cut to accommodate a muffler or
Supertrap.  I think I have pictures if you are interested.
Jim Davis