[FC] CORVAIR BURIAL and other unusual examples

Rad Davis rad.davis at comcast.net
Thu Dec 8 10:02:21 EST 2005

It's a matter of content.  What's there is now a one-web-page outline of
how the FC came to be, what it is like, and how it is related to the
corvair cars.  It might make a good outline for three chapters, but it's
definitely not a book itself.  Frankly, I never thought of doing a book,
but there's no reason I/we couldn't.

The FC primer has been nearly static for years.  It's so old that it's
based on HTML 2.0, and the pictures are sized for best viewing on an
800x600 screen.  Likewise, its URL has been the same for at least five
years.  This has been somewhat intentional--reference info on the web is of
no use if you can't find it where you saw it last.

If I were to go to hard copy, I'd definitely add more content, of
course.  And I'd broaden the content as well.  Maybe repurpose some stuff
from the CORSA beginner's handbook, if rights could be gotten.

The writing is not much of a chore for me.  Source material and original
documents for illustrations and references are more of a challenge.  I
suspect that the CORSA library, back issues of the Corvan Antics, and Dave
Newell and Larry Claypool. would quickly become heavily-consulted
resources.  With the development of just-in-time printing, it has never
been easier to print a book.

Maybe we should consider a collaborative project, like the beginner's
manual. I'll volunteer here and now to be the editor.

In any event, I have always been interested in getting  the FC "word" out
there, and I'll say it again:  If you have anything FC specific that is
rare and interesting - like those design buck photos I have posted - for
instance, I'll happily add it to the site with attribution.  I claim
copyright to the site's contents, but that is only to keep people from
using the content in some way that I would find offensive--people do weird
things with information on the web.  A good bit of what is on my website
has been published in club newsletters, and I've never refused a reuse
request.

Rad Davis
keeper of the Forward Control Corvair Primer:
http://www.mindspring.com/~corvair/fc1.html