[FC] brake lines

VairMech at aol.com VairMech at aol.com
Thu Dec 15 16:47:05 EST 2005

In a message dated 12/15/2005 1:08:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
wern3 at juno.com writes:

I have a  question on flaring brake lines. I have a new flaring tool, and
it has the  parts needed to make single and double flares on brake lines.
I have made  some practice flares but while the thing makes a nice single
flare, I  cannot seem to figure out how to make the double flare part.  No
instructions came with the tool. Anyone successful at this or know  of  a
web site or book would be helpful.

    I have read the other replies and here is what I do  for a double flare.

    This is just for a straight piece of line if you  have a bend you will be
responsible for putting the nut on first!
    Cut the line with a tubing cutter, I use a file or  even a drill bit to
get the flash out of the hole area. When I say file I am  talking a small file
and using the handle in the hole. Then, take the line and  insert into the
appropriate size hole in the holding tool. Make sure that you  have the
appropriate size upsetting tool and have just the amount of line  sticking through the
holder that is the thickness of the shoulder on the  upsetting tool. Clamp
your holder tight with the end wing nuts, then put the  upsetting tool in the
line. The little tit will go in the line. put your flaring  tool on the whole
assembly and be sure that the flaring tool does not push  crooked on the
upsetting tool. Tighten the flare cone until the upsetting tool  is tight against the
tube holder. loosen and take out the upsetting tool then  center the flare
cone over the tube hole and tighten down until you have a  flare. Remove the
flaring cone and admire your work. Be real sure to admire your  work because you
want to look for cracks.
    It's not hard to do but it isn't easy either, you  will crank on this and
work up a sweat if you do more that two.
    Ken Hand