[FC] PCV/vent tube/balance tube

Bruce Gwyther corvanatics@corvair.org
Wed Feb 2 15:46:02 2005

I'm confused!!  Some 'Vairs use road draft tubes ('60,'61), some use PCV
valves ( I believe '62,'63), some use metered orfice balance tubes (I believe
'64 and later). All FC's I've seen have PCV valves. The Original PCV valve is
a cv584c according to the parts book. My problem is that if installed the way
indicated (small end towards balance tube-large end towards crankcase vent
tube), it would introduce large amounts of air into the vacuum system. Air
from the crankcase or air cleaner would pass through the valve straight to the
balance tube and into the vacuum ports on the heads. With no metering, as with
the metered orfice tubes, the large amounts of air would cause a lean
condition. Can someone straighten me out on this problem (at least a problem
for me)??

            Bruce Gwyther - - -  vairman@sisna.com