[FC] PCV/vent tube/balance tube

Clark Hartzel corvanatics@corvair.org
Wed Feb 2 16:53:03 2005

I just looked at my Corvair, a 1965, and it does not have a PCV valve.  Page
7-5 in the 1964 shop manual shows a picture of the PCV valve and you are
right, there is no orifice.  Apparantly the PCV valve IS the orifice.  The
ball inside rattles around to where ever the highest vacuum is and must plug
the excess opening to prevent idle problems.  There is mention that a
plugged valve will effect the idle speed.
Clark

-----Original Message-----
From: corvanatics-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:corvanatics-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Bruce Gwyther
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 4:16 PM
To: corvanatics@corvair.org
Subject: Re: [FC] PCV/vent tube/balance tube

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clark Hartzel" <chartzel@comcast.net>
To: <corvanatics@corvair.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 1:55 PM

> The crankcase venting goes into the air cleaner.  I believe the balance
tube still has the small orifice to prevent your concern.
> Clark Hartzel
>
> Clark,
Thanks for the reply but none of the tubes I've seen used with pcv valves
had the small metered orfice.  Only the ones without the pcv valves had the
metered orfice.. The crankcase vent tube has one branch going to the air
cleaner and a large branch going to the balance tube (pcv or metered
orfice).  I'm still confused!!!

Bruce

--