[FC] here's smoke in your eyes

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Fri Feb 18 18:50:04 EST 2005

Go for the replacement engine or rebuild your old one.  I had a blown head
gasket on my Spyder, so off came the heads and rebuilt ones went on.  After
that, the blow by was so bad that I had oil coming out the filler pipe, just
like yours.  I should have known better, but was just trying to get it back on
the road.  Have a engine rebuilding in progress for the last 4 years and still
haven't found the time to finish it.  A ready engine is the way to go,
especially if time is a factor.  Paul in CT....
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ben's Bus
  To: corvanatics@corvair.org
  Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 5:04 PM
  Subject: [FC] here's smoke in your eyes

  Hey guys and gals-

  I have been getting burnt oil smell in my heat and some gray smoke comes in
  through the heating vents.  Also, the oil is blowing out the top filler
tube.
  The last time my van was in the shop they told me the blow by is getting
worse
  and the oil is leaking everywhere.  It was used when I got it.

  Anyway, what are the chances that replacing the Vitons will take care of
the
  burnt oil smell (burning on the manifold), and the smoke problem?  I have a
  good lead on a rebuilt 110 engine and a great installation price quoted.
  Would it be smarter to get the rebuilt or fix the smoker??

  Thanks!   Ben