[FC] Rampside lower A arm ball joint question.

george koenig corvanatics@corvair.org
Sun Feb 20 10:01:01 EST 2005

I am rebuilding the whole suspension on my 61 rampside.  It is all
dissassembled, cleaned, and ready to reassemble.  The lower ball joint is
secured by a stud at the top, and two 5/16" bolts on each side.  One of
these bolts has a regular head with a 1/2" flats.  The other has an odd head
that has 9/16flats and a raised circular section above that.Total head
height is about 1/2".   The new ball joint (MOOG) also came with new bolts,
and one of these too, is like this odd one.  Question is: Does the odd
headed bolt go to the front of the vehicle or the rear? Also, what in the
world does this special bolt for? GM wouldn't spend money this  for no
reason.
Great site.  I have owned Corvair cars for a long time. (presently have
three) but this is my first rampside and the learning curve is pretty steep.
thanx.
George.
Geobarb@cox-internet.com