[FC] FC 1964 Powerglide Fluid into Differential

James Davis jld at wk.net
Tue Feb 22 09:45:13 EST 2005

Well, one of the pinion seals is leaking.  The seals are under pressure on
the outside (from the Powerglide) and there is no pressure inside the
differential, so any leak is into the differential. Sad-to-say, it is a
relatively common problem and the diluted differential grease will soon
destroy the ring and pinion.  There is no cure except to change the two
pinion seals. Use only National seals (in my opinion) as they have two seal
lips and are less prone to leaking, especially on the front pinion
seal.  If the torque convertor seal was leaking, the transmission fluid
would simply be slung on the right underside of the FC and would not end up
in the diferential.
Jim Davis