[FC] Rampside lower A arm ball joint question.

Bill Wells brierpath at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 24 14:38:54 EST 2005

George,

The bolt you describe is the bump stop for the steering arm. I cannot remember if they are used in the front or rear of the ball joint, but if you look at your steering arms, you will see the raised,flat area that contacts the strange ball joint bolt. That will show you which hole to use it in.

Good Luck,
Bill Wells

george koenig <geobarb at cox-internet.com> wrote:
I am rebuilding the whole suspension on my 61 rampside. It is all
dissassembled, cleaned, and ready to reassemble. The lower ball joint is
secured by a stud at the top, and two 5/16" bolts on each side. One of
these bolts has a regular head with a 1/2" flats. The other has an odd head
that has 9/16flats and a raised circular section above that.Total head
height is about 1/2". The new ball joint (MOOG) also came with new bolts,
and one of these too, is like this odd one. Question is: Does the odd
headed bolt go to the front of the vehicle or the rear? Also, what in the
world does this special bolt for? GM wouldn't spend money this for no
reason.
Great site. I have owned Corvair cars for a long time. (presently have
three) but this is my first rampside and the learning curve is pretty steep.
thanx.
George.
Geobarb at cox-internet.com