[FC] 4 Speed Conversion Revisited

Clark Hartzel corvanatics@corvair.org
Sun Jan 23 09:13:01 2005

Yes, squeezing oil into the bushing is the way to lube it.  You should have
a bronze bearing, not a powdered iron bearing.  Check it with a magnet.  If
the magnet sticks, get a different one.  Make sure your input shaft can spin
freely in the pilot bushing after it is pressed in place.   If it is too
tight, it won't matter how far you push the clutch in, the shaft will turn
with the engine causing gear grinding.
When you reassemble the clutch fork, make sure the fingers and springs are
in the channel of the throwout bearing.  The thickness of the clutch disc
shouldn't matter.
After the powertrain is back in  watch the clutch cable move while someone
else pushes the clutch in and out.  You need about 3/8" minumum travel to
make sure the fork is stroking enough.  Too much freeplay in the adjustment
will reduce the amount of stroke you get.  The cable housing must stand
still while the cable moves in and out.  Make sure the mounts are tight and
you are not moving the housing back and forth.  When all else fails, you
probably need new synchros in the trans!
Good luck, Clark Hartzel

-----Original Message-----
From: corvanatics-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:corvanatics-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Greenbrier Goon
Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2005 11:19 PM
To: corvair list; corvanatics@corvair.org
Subject: [FC] 4 Speed Conversion Revisited

Hey everyone:

Some of you may remember the troubles I have had in converting my Greenbrier
to a 4 speed. It would shift great for about 4 minutes and then it would
grind into the gears.

It is apart again.  This time I took the bell housing to a machine shop to
make sure everything was paralell (as per the technical guide).  It was a
little off, so the shop made it true.

I am also replacing the pilot bushing.  What is the proper way to lube this?
I have been told that squeezing motor oil into it is the trick.

I measured the disc.  It is .3420 inch thick.  Is this the right thickness
for a rebuilt disc?

Charles

Greenbrier World:
http://www.c-zone.net/northgte/greenbrier.htm