[FC] Not one, not two, but THREE rim sizes for FCs!!!!

Dale Dewald corvanatics@corvair.org
Sun Jan 30 10:39:00 2005

Hello,  See comments in text;

At 10:16 PM 1/28/05 -0800, Merv Krull wrote:
>Hi all!
>
>Actually, maybe only one correct size for FCs, but since all these rims came
>from FCs, it may be reasonable to assume that there are actually three (or
>more?) rim sizes. A true FC rim can be distinguished from a regular Chevy rim
>quite easily.... the regular Chevy rims have a ridge where a full size hupcap
>would fit and FC rims do not.

I have found the ridge type rims on some later model FC's.  I believe there
was a full wheel cover option with the Deluxe Greenbrier

>This is what I have found:
>
>Rim A    7 inches outside to outside, 3 3/4 inch backset, 2 5/8 inch frontset

This would be a 14X6 GM wheel from a passenger car.  These would be
desirable to use with 205 section or larger tires.

>Rim B    6 3/8 inch outside to outside, 3 3/4 inch backset, 2 1/8 inch
>frontset

I have found a couple of these 5.5X14 wheels amongst the ones removed from
FC's.  They are not from the FC line, but would be the best alternative to
look as close as possible to stock and be a better fit to a P205/70R14 or
larger section tire.

>Rim C    5 15/16 inch outside to outside, 3 1/2 inch backset, 1 15/16 inch
>frontset

These are the correct FC wheels.

>*outside to outside in the measure from the outside edges of the rim
>*backset is the measure from the outside of the back of the rim to the
>mounting surface
>*frontset is the measure from the outside of the front of the rim to the lip
>on the centre hole

<snip>

Dale Dewald
Hancock, (UP) MI