[FC] Input Shaft Bushing (4 Speed Conversion)

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Mon Jan 31 00:09:03 2005

Bronze pilot shaft bushings are not hard to find.  Go to any parts store and
bring the iron one with you and they will match it up.  I have found bronze
bushings even at True Value hardware stores.  They aren't that hard to get
unless you live in some very out of the way place.  As for using the iron one,
it can be used, but some people claim that they are not as good as the bronze
or brass.  I think it is more of a personal opinion than fact.  I can't say
for certain, because when I was turning wrenches, bronze bushings were all
that you could purchase and that is what I used.  Just make sure to push oil
through the bushing so all the pores are lubricated.  If not, it will run dry
and drag.  Also check the input shaft in the bushing to make certain that it
doesn't bind at all.  During installation is easy to distort them.  I had a
special tool for driving them in, but it can be done with a 1" square block of
oak and a hammer.  You just need to make sure that it is started in the bore
squarely.  That is the reason for checking with the input shaft before
installation of the clutch and transmission.  Good luck, you are becoming an
expert at R&R of Corvair drive-trains.  Do you have it down to 20 minutes or
less??????? LOL......  Paul in CT
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Greenbrier Goon
  To: corvanatics@corvair.org ; corvair list
  Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2005 11:56 PM
  Subject: [FC] Input Shaft Bushing (4 Speed Conversion)

  I finally found the time this weekend to re-assemble
  the clutch components for my ongoing FC 4 speed
  conversion troubleshooting and ran into a problem
  right away.

  The Underground had sent me an input shaft bushing
  that is made out of something other than the bronze
  material of a stock bushing.

  I found out when I discovered that a magnet sticks to
  it.

  Isn't this the type of bushing that everyone says to
  avoid?

  I have had this thing apart 3 times.  I don't want to
  pull it apart again!

  Charles

  =====
  Greenbrier World: