[FC] 4 Speed Conversion Revisited/Pilot Bushing - Repost of my comments

Mon Jan 31 10:53:00 2005

You should have
a bronze bearing, not a powdered iron bearing.  Check it with a magnet.  If
the magnet sticks, get a different one.

    GEE, I hate to disagree here, but, the bronze bearing is probably the
best overall but not a must have item as far as I am concerned.
    I routinely use the so called "powdered iron" bearing with no problems in
any of my clutch jobs that I do. Yes, do squeeze oil through the bearing,
AMSOIL synthetic works best. I had to add that! LOL The way to squeeze the oil
through is, set the bearing on end on your fore finger, then pour oil into the
cavity until it is full, then put your thumb over the top and sqeeze your two
fingers together even using your other hand to help. You will see the oil start
to come through the pores of the bearing. When you are satisfied do a quick
wipe of the bearing and install it. NEVER EVER USE GREASE here! A long time ago
I used to use grease and could never figure out why the pilot bushings would
get noisy and wear out. Live and learn.
    Ken Hand