[FC] Brakes

Bill Wells brierpath at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 8 12:36:20 EDT 2005

What I encountered when I added a dual MC to my Greenbrier was similar. I could not get the brakes to bleed and get a decent firm pedal. I found that the MC pushrod was too long and did not allow the MC to fully release. I ground it down until I had freeplay between the MC piston and the pushrod. I bled all wheels again and all is well months later.
I still like the feel of the single MC, but have to have the safety factor. One of our club members has had a rear wheel come off a couple times and when the drum came off as well, no brakes.

Bill Wells

Wild8bill at aol.com wrote:
OK, I've bled all the way around about half a dozen times. I still have a
pedal that goes all the way to the floor (it can be "pumped up" to get pressure;
2-3 pumps). I stopped with the one man bleeder and got a helper to push the
brake pedal so I could see what was going on; no bubbles except the rt front
wheel, bubbles would come out every time the pedal was pressed. Big bubbles. I
must have run two bottles of fluid through there, so any air in the line should
have been pumped out; the bubbles never decreased in volume. There aren't any
leaks in the lines that I can find. The fact that I can "pump it up" and it
holds pressure verifies that.

So, do I have a bad wheel cylinder or master cylinder? Previous owner put a
dual-cylinder master on this '61 'Brier.